Skip to main content

My musical experiment with a guitar

Music is a very unique and amazing experience to have. Almost everybody in the world listens to some or the other form of music. Many people have dedicated their lives to music. There are many people with a doctorate in music, thats how dedicated and serious they are about music. There are prodigies in music who will continue to make me feel like a completely non talented person.

My experience so far in the the field of music has been an incredibly one. I started to learn to play the guitar when i was 12. Now i am 18 and the process of learning is still going on. I believe that the process of learning will never end as new styles and methods are born everyday. So we have to keep updating our knowledg.


The learning process 


I started with the very basics of guitar. Some people just go to youtube and learn songs they like and call themselves guitarists. I started by learning to read the staff notations, notes on the guitar, basic chords etc. Then i went on to scales and arpeggios and stuff. I spent my first whole year learning only basics and theory. The second year onwards i started to learn songs with simple chords. Then i went to songs with tricky chord transitions, then to songs with tricky riffs and so on.

Then gradually me and my teacher started to jam more complex songs (songs that involve more than one instrument). This was the best part of the journey, it is always fun to jam with other musicians. Me and my friends jammed in the school every day during the break.

My favourite techniques


Then i was introduced to finger picking by my teacher. Fingerpicking for me is the most favorite of all techniques. The first fingerpicking song i learnt was “nothing else matters” by Metallica. That is still one of my favorite songs. Learning Nothing else matters was a big challenge for me as it was my first time using the fingerpicking technique. When i finally mastered the song, i couldn't stop playing it. That song i so graceful and melodious. After that i learnt a lot of fingerpicking songs. And even today fingerpicking is my favorite technique.

My inspirations


Recently i encountered an australian artist called Tommy emmanuel. According to me he is one of the best guitarists in the world. His songs are a milestone to learn and master. Another artist that i follow currently is Eric clapton. His “Tears in heaven” was the next big challenge for me. It was the first time i realised that the left hand thumb can be used for playing. Some of the other artists that i used to follow a lot are Kirk hammett, Slash, Carlos santana, James hetfield and a lot more people.

What i am upto now


Now i am learning how to make fingerstyle arrangements. Fingerstyle arrangements are a best way to play a song solo. It sounds really good and it gets people very excited to hear their favorite songs in a totally different way. Learning fingerstyle arrangements is quite hard. But making an arrangement is the real deal. Right now this is what i am trying to master. I have started to make on for “Hey jude” by The beatles. After i master this i will move on to another interesting technique.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Writing (from brainwaves to a recording)

So you have a tune rolling around in your head and you want to get it out for others to enjoy? This is my approach to making that tune come alive. It is not the only way to do this, but for those who want to try this for themselves, I've outlined my own approach to writing a song. First off you must have an idea of a song rolling around in your mind, or perhaps you came up with a riff from playing around on the guitar? Now it beacons to you to come to fruition!

HOW TO USE YOUR PC AS AN AMPLIFIER FOR YOUR GUITAR

source :   http://teckguide.blogspot.com/2014/10/guitar-to-pc.html   (my other blog) Playing the guitar is a passion shared by many people. Be it acoustic or electric guitar. Its always nice to play the guitar either for yourself or in front of other people. When it is just played for yourself or in front of other on stage, it is simple. Just plug the guitar to the amplifier and play. But when you want to record it and playback, it gets a little tricky. But not hard. When we usually want to record something from the guitar at home, we usually do it with our cell phone or a microphone connected to the computer. That will do to some extent but it can't be used professionally due to a lot of noise in the record. The noise could either be because of the bad quality of the microphone or because of the surrounding. Now my room faces the main road, so everytime i try to record something there is always some or the other vehicle honking in the background. So i have never been able